Thursday, June 21, 2007

Dreams & the Unconscious

There's a plethora of material out there about it, Freud & Jung, perhaps, being the best. Recently, Cormac McCarthy, the great Southern writer (hailing from my home state of TN), has talked about its power in our lives. You can find his comments on the Oprah interview at her official site, just google "Oprah official site" and type in "book club" and/or "Cormac McCarthy" on the home page.

As CormacMcCarthy.com, the official website of the Cormac McCarthy Society, says:

"Also, those of you who haven't visited the Oprah Interview Site lately are in for a real treat. They continue posting excerpts and outtakes from the interview; the latest features McCarthy on Henry Miller, inspiration, dreams, and John Nash. You'll have to register, but it's worth it."

I couldn't say it any better.

Just to tell you how these things work:

I stayed up late reading McCarthy's Pulitzer Prize-winning new novel, _The Road_, caught up involuntarily in this tale of a father and son forestalling death and trying wholeheartedly to live in a fatality-minded world. This father is trying to let his child be a child in a world that doesn't grant much of a childhood. And he's trying to be a father and do things fathers are supposed to do. He's trying to pass an ethical stance and moral beliefs and humanity down to this child even though they both know the most likely thing that could happen to them --given their reality and the woeful statistics of it all-- is that they'll die sooner than later. But they keep going their way, on their road. To make a short tale out of a long one:

I woke up dreaming of . . . [edit].

No joke.

And it was powerful stuff.

Now I have to see what I can do with it.

No comments: